James Heathers PhD Candidate in Applied Physiology at University of Sydney https://theconversation.edu.au/essendon-faces-a-doping-investigation-but-what-are-peptides-12042 By now you’ll have heard the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) is investigating Essendon Football Club. At this stage, there has been speculation about the injection of “peptides” by players in training, without any confirmation that this was the case. So assuming the [...]
Essendon have come forth in a press conference regarding a possible breach of Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority regulations. The belief is that players were asked to sign waivers regarding the club’s fitness program and everything it entailed. The former Essendon head of fitness, Stephen Dank, left the Bombers in late 2012 following controversy regarding the [...]
By Craig Fry @ TheConversation.edu.au The AFL’s approach to illicit drugs was championed as a world leader of drugs-in-sport policy when it was implemented in 2005. It was fair, humane and had been effective in reducing match day and out-of-season positive test numbers, through better player education and frequency of testing. In recent months however, [...]
Chris McMaster takes us through why the ACL is injured, exploring the mechanism of the knee. ACL injuries occur in a variety of different ways, but the principles remain the same. The ACL attaches to the inside of the tibia (shin), but to the outside of the femur (thigh). This means that any force that [...]
It has been a horror run for knee injuries this pre-season, and that was only after Round 1 of the NAB Cup. Some have come in-game, others before the first ball-up has even been contested. By my count, we have seen 3 ACL tears and 2 isolated MCL tears this pre-season. If you add to [...]
Richmond, Hawthorn and North Melbourne The first game of football for 2012 was a forgettable one for all involved. In a generally scrappy affair, North Melbourne came away with a narrow victory at the expense of an injury headache. Leigh Adams and Reece Conca clashed heads, with Adams needing to be subbed off with a [...]
In the countdown to the first football match of 2012, the Eagles have been dealt a crushing blow. Mercurial forward Mark LeCras has been sidelined indefinitely with a tear to the ACL in his right knee. The incident occurred yesterday during training, not long after LeCras was announced in the side to take on cross-town [...]
After going A to G, we turn our focus to the remaining nine teams to put the spotlight on a key player and their fight for fitness in season 2012. Hawthorn: Jarryd Roughhead – Jarryd Roughead had a difficult 2011. An achilles tendon rupture in round 12 meant that Roughead had to watch his side [...]
We go through every team to put the spotlight on a key player and their fight for fitness in season 2012. Whether it’s an ACL or patella tendinopathy, read about it hear on BigFooty News. Adelaide: Ben Rutten – Adelaide appear to have escaped with a relatively injury-free pre-season. The biggest question mark entering the [...]
Every spring without fail, private hospital beds across the country, and particularly in Melbourne, fill with healthy people. People not merely healthy by “hospital standards” (not your standard criteria for “healthy”, I assure you), but healthy by everyday standards. Fit, tall (even Jake King is of average height according to national data), strong young people [...]
- Footy in the Provinces – Canterbury, NZ December 9, 2013
- Footy in the Motherland – The West London Wildcats December 4, 2013
- Across the Tasman – Australian Football in New Zealand December 4, 2013
- Footballer’s Cathedral November 27, 2013
- Australian Football in Europe November 26, 2013
- Everybody needs good neighbors – Australian footy in Indonesia November 23, 2013
- Northern Exposure – Australian Football in Iceland November 20, 2013
- The AFL plans for equalisation November 18, 2013
- Footy reaches the Windy City – Australian Rules in Chicago November 16, 2013
- Australian footy deep in the heart of Texas November 14, 2013
- Catatonic Cat: O'Brien a square peg in footy's round hole http:...
- the_steadier: The house always wins. Might not be today.... mig...
- jenny61_99: Just a small thing - Adelaide actually beat the Bu...
- geekman: Hi guys, what happened to the pre/post game analys...
- Goodo73: So Melbourne played for draft picks... I have to s...
- Andrew Lewis: It does seem more like that with every day that pa...
- bomberman: I was listening to Mark Fine for 2 nights on SEN r...
- Adrian Appleyard: This 2011 survey for the Economist - https://www.e...
- AsItShouldBePlayed: D'oh! It just occurred to me that semi-finals an...
- AsItShouldBePlayed: I hope the AFLPA have the balls to stand up to thi...
- AFL House (44)
- Announcements (22)
- Cartoons (21)
- Club News (47)
- Dream Team (2)
- Fantasy Footy (2)
- Featured Posts (17)
- Features (15)
- Footy Betting (53)
- Footy Business (1)
- Friday Funny (4)
- Injuries (6)
- Interview (25)
- Ireland (4)
- Lists (20)
- Match Previews (236)
- Match Review Panel (10)
- Match Reviews (238)
- NAB Cup (1)
- National Draft (7)
- Off Topic (7)
- On the Grass (5)
- Opinion (133)
- Predictions (1)
- Press Releases (9)
- Season Review (8)
- Sports Medicine (9)
- Statistics (2)
- Supercoach (2)
- Team News (5)
- Team of the Week (4)
- Team Previews (22)
- Teams (36)
- Technology (3)
- Trade Period (1)
- VFL (11)