If you live in Adelaide and follow the footy at all in the last 23 years, you’ll be familiar with the divide that separates the Adelaide Crows and the Port Adelaide Power. One has been a team that for all intents and purposes claimed to represent all South Australians, and the other has been something [...]
If you were to take the Internet as representative of how club supporters feel, then you’d probably believe all Essendon supporters are members of the Stand By Hird Division, still grimly defending the barricades at the Red and Black February Factory as the rumble of ASADA tanks grows ever louder. There’s an excellent piece by [...]
The Switkowski report is out, and no heads have been called for. While broad statements have been made about who should have been responsible for what, and what should and should not happen in the future at AFL clubs in relation to supplements and sports science research, there is no blood on the floor, no [...]
You’ve read it all this week following Friday’s astonishing comeback by Essendon in Perth against the AFL’s own version of a Boa Constrictor, the Fremantle Dockers. It was a tough week for those at Windy Hill, and they were able to deal with the adversity and produce a remarkable performance. You know what? I’m sick [...]
BigFooty members, 112 in all, voted for the Top 50 AFL players. This was based on a mix of predicted and current form. The full list, with commentary on each player and member discussion: http://bit.ly/BFTop50-2013 Gary Ablett (Gold Coast) Lance Franklin (Hawthorn) Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood) Jobe Watson (Essendon) Dane Swan (Collingwood) Trent Cotchin (Richmond) Josh [...]
According to the punditry, everyone will do better in 2013. This rather extraordinary exercise in groupthink has occurred holistically but, basically, everyone seems to be suggesting this year is the most difficult to pick the eight finalists, how everyone is improved in 2012, all the while essentially picking the same final eight, the next four, [...]
Geelong did a strange thing in the footy world today. They were honest. While the AFL and Melbourne continued to spin around the “not tanking but fined and suspended” debacle, and Essendon briefed journos that ASADA turning up to tell players there was a loophole they might yet squeeze through as a “good thing”, Geelong [...]
Just when you thought the AFL couldn’t get any better, or more accurately, worse, they manage to outdo themselves yet again. The official verdict from on high is that Melbourne didn’t tank. But they have been fined $500,000, and former Melbourne coach Dean Bailey and then football chief Chris Connolly have been sanctioned for their [...]
It has been called the blackest day in Australian sport. You have to admit it is a bit of a shocker. Revelations that the Australian Crime Commission has found evidence of widespread match fixing and use of illegally obtained and used performance enhancing substances has left the wider Australian sport-watching community flummoxed to say the [...]
By Craig Fry @ TheConversation.edu.au The AFL’s approach to illicit drugs was championed as a world leader of drugs-in-sport policy when it was implemented in 2005. It was fair, humane and had been effective in reducing match day and out-of-season positive test numbers, through better player education and frequency of testing. In recent months however, [...]
- 2014: The Year of Equality February 2, 2014
- No, we’re not crazy. January 30, 2014
- Adam Goodes wins Australian of the Year January 26, 2014
- AIS defeat NZ in a thriller January 26, 2014
- Bigfooty Offseason Report – Jan 11th-18th January 18, 2014
- New Zealand Hawks to take on the AIS AFL Academy January 17, 2014
- Back to where it all began – the 1870′s January 12, 2014
- 150 Years of the Navy Blues January 7, 2014
- Giants of WA Footy – East Fremantle Football Club January 4, 2014
- The Power of Possibility December 30, 2013
- 2014: The Year of Equality | AFL Business: [...] the off season from various Men Who Count at...
- Bigfooty Offseason Report – Jan 11th-18th | AFL News from BigFooty: [...] has done a number of historical items in rec...
- Footy in the Provinces – Australian Football in Christchurch, NZ | AFL News from BigFooty: [...] did an interview with Rob Vanstom, CEO of AF...
- Footy in the Provinces – Australian Footy in Canterbury, NZ | AFL Business: [...] did an interview with Rob Vanstom, CEO of AF...
- Catatonic Cat: O'Brien a square peg in footy's round hole http:...
- the_steadier: The house always wins. Might not be today.... mig...
- jenny61_99: Just a small thing - Adelaide actually beat the Bu...
- geekman: Hi guys, what happened to the pre/post game analys...
- Goodo73: So Melbourne played for draft picks... I have to s...
- Andrew Lewis: It does seem more like that with every day that pa...
- AFL House (47)
- Announcements (23)
- Cartoons (21)
- Club News (47)
- Dream Team (2)
- Fantasy Footy (2)
- Featured Posts (17)
- Features (15)
- Footy Betting (53)
- Footy Business (1)
- Friday Funny (4)
- history (3)
- Injuries (6)
- international (2)
- Interview (26)
- Ireland (4)
- Lists (20)
- Match Previews (236)
- Match Review Panel (10)
- Match Reviews (238)
- NAB Cup (1)
- National Draft (7)
- Off Topic (7)
- On the Grass (5)
- Opinion (135)
- Predictions (1)
- Press Releases (9)
- Season Review (8)
- Sports Medicine (9)
- Statistics (2)
- Supercoach (2)
- Team News (5)
- Team of the Week (4)
- Team Previews (22)
- Teams (36)
- Technology (3)
- Trade Period (1)
- Uncategorized (1)
- VFL (11)