The Switkowski report is out, and no heads have been called for. While broad statements have been made about who should have been responsible for what, and what should and should not happen in the future at AFL clubs in relation to supplements and sports science research, there is no blood on the floor, no [...]
You’ve read it all this week following Friday’s astonishing comeback by Essendon in Perth against the AFL’s own version of a Boa Constrictor, the Fremantle Dockers. It was a tough week for those at Windy Hill, and they were able to deal with the adversity and produce a remarkable performance. You know what? I’m sick [...]
BigFooty members, 112 in all, voted for the Top 50 AFL players. This was based on a mix of predicted and current form. The full list, with commentary on each player and member discussion: http://bit.ly/BFTop50-2013 Gary Ablett (Gold Coast) Lance Franklin (Hawthorn) Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood) Jobe Watson (Essendon) Dane Swan (Collingwood) Trent Cotchin (Richmond) Josh [...]
According to the punditry, everyone will do better in 2013. This rather extraordinary exercise in groupthink has occurred holistically but, basically, everyone seems to be suggesting this year is the most difficult to pick the eight finalists, how everyone is improved in 2012, all the while essentially picking the same final eight, the next four, [...]
Geelong did a strange thing in the footy world today. They were honest. While the AFL and Melbourne continued to spin around the “not tanking but fined and suspended” debacle, and Essendon briefed journos that ASADA turning up to tell players there was a loophole they might yet squeeze through as a “good thing”, Geelong [...]
Just when you thought the AFL couldn’t get any better, or more accurately, worse, they manage to outdo themselves yet again. The official verdict from on high is that Melbourne didn’t tank. But they have been fined $500,000, and former Melbourne coach Dean Bailey and then football chief Chris Connolly have been sanctioned for their [...]
It has been called the blackest day in Australian sport. You have to admit it is a bit of a shocker. Revelations that the Australian Crime Commission has found evidence of widespread match fixing and use of illegally obtained and used performance enhancing substances has left the wider Australian sport-watching community flummoxed to say the [...]
By Craig Fry @ TheConversation.edu.au The AFL’s approach to illicit drugs was championed as a world leader of drugs-in-sport policy when it was implemented in 2005. It was fair, humane and had been effective in reducing match day and out-of-season positive test numbers, through better player education and frequency of testing. In recent months however, [...]
I have this vision of Andrew Demetriou watching the coverage of the fighting in Gaza and thinking: “I wonder how you get hold of one of those drones …” While I doubt the AFL will ever be permitted to obtain a UAV capacity, I wouldn’t put it beyond their ambitions and the evidence supports this [...]
Paul Sergeant has just taken over as the head honcho at Etihad Stadium. And he wants to shake things up. As this article shows, Sergeant, wearing what appears to be one of Bill Cosby’s cast off crazy sweaters, wants there to be more razzle dazzle at games. He thinks this might help arrest a decline [...]
- Footy in the Motherland – The West London Wildcats December 4, 2013
- Across the Tasman – Australian Football in New Zealand December 4, 2013
- Footballer’s Cathedral November 27, 2013
- Australian Football in Europe November 26, 2013
- Everybody needs good neighbors – Australian footy in Indonesia November 23, 2013
- Northern Exposure – Australian Football in Iceland November 20, 2013
- The AFL plans for equalisation November 18, 2013
- Footy reaches the Windy City – Australian Rules in Chicago November 16, 2013
- Australian footy deep in the heart of Texas November 14, 2013
- The Revolution has arrived – Australian Footy in America November 14, 2013
- Catatonic Cat: O'Brien a square peg in footy's round hole http:...
- the_steadier: The house always wins. Might not be today.... mig...
- jenny61_99: Just a small thing - Adelaide actually beat the Bu...
- geekman: Hi guys, what happened to the pre/post game analys...
- Goodo73: So Melbourne played for draft picks... I have to s...
- Andrew Lewis: It does seem more like that with every day that pa...
- bomberman: I was listening to Mark Fine for 2 nights on SEN r...
- Adrian Appleyard: This 2011 survey for the Economist - https://www.e...
- AsItShouldBePlayed: D'oh! It just occurred to me that semi-finals an...
- AsItShouldBePlayed: I hope the AFLPA have the balls to stand up to thi...
- AFL House (44)
- Announcements (22)
- Cartoons (21)
- Club News (47)
- Dream Team (2)
- Fantasy Footy (2)
- Featured Posts (17)
- Features (15)
- Footy Betting (53)
- Footy Business (1)
- Friday Funny (4)
- Injuries (6)
- Interview (24)
- Ireland (4)
- Lists (20)
- Match Previews (236)
- Match Review Panel (10)
- Match Reviews (238)
- NAB Cup (1)
- National Draft (7)
- Off Topic (7)
- On the Grass (5)
- Opinion (133)
- Predictions (1)
- Press Releases (9)
- Season Review (8)
- Sports Medicine (9)
- Statistics (2)
- Supercoach (2)
- Team News (5)
- Team of the Week (4)
- Team Previews (22)
- Teams (36)
- Technology (3)
- Trade Period (1)
- VFL (11)