The Switkowski report is out, and no heads have been called for. While broad statements have been made about who should have been responsible for what, and what should and should not happen in the future at AFL clubs in relation to supplements and sports science research, there is no blood on the floor, no [...]
About Andrew LewisAndrew (otherwise known as The Punter) has been writing opinion for BigFooty since 2008. His football content appears exclusively here. He also writes about (mostly) cricket and politics, and has been featured on ABC's The Drum and Menzies House. You can visit his blog at www.blogofpunter.blogspot.com.
You’ve read it all this week following Friday’s astonishing comeback by Essendon in Perth against the AFL’s own version of a Boa Constrictor, the Fremantle Dockers. It was a tough week for those at Windy Hill, and they were able to deal with the adversity and produce a remarkable performance. You know what? I’m sick [...]
According to the punditry, everyone will do better in 2013. This rather extraordinary exercise in groupthink has occurred holistically but, basically, everyone seems to be suggesting this year is the most difficult to pick the eight finalists, how everyone is improved in 2012, all the while essentially picking the same final eight, the next four, [...]
It has been called the blackest day in Australian sport. You have to admit it is a bit of a shocker. Revelations that the Australian Crime Commission has found evidence of widespread match fixing and use of illegally obtained and used performance enhancing substances has left the wider Australian sport-watching community flummoxed to say the [...]
Good clubs don’t lose great people. Whatever you think of Grant Thomas, it’s hard to argue with this contention as Brendon Goddard, 2002 #1 draft pick and life member of the St Kilda Football Club, prepares to finish his playing days at Essendon. However, the reality is a lot less black and white than that. [...]
More eagerly awaited than a “WOWEE” from Brian Taylor… More wonderfully articulated than an elocution course conducted by Andrew Demetriou… Fairer than Adelaide’s fixture… It’s the 2012 edition of everyone’s favourite awards – The Punter Awards! The Aunty Jack Award for best ability to “Rip Your Bloody Arms Off” To Chris Judd, who knows more than three [...]
Hawthorn 13.9.97 def Adelaide 14.8.92 Hawthorn have survived the mother of all scares to win through to the 2012 AFL Grand Final, beating Adelaide in the 1st Preliminary Final, 13.19.97 to 14.8.92 at the MCG Saturday. Hawthorn will play Sydney next week for the 2012 flag. Heavily favoured to win during the week against an Adelaide side [...]
Godwin’s Law states that the longer an online discussion goes on, regardless of original topic, the chances that someone will mention the Nazis will eventually reach 1. On BigFooty, the greatest of all places where our native game is discussed, we have our own version, and this is the one week of the year where [...]
As the writing super sub, I’m coming in this week with my look at who were the big winners and big losers from this round of footy. Grinners Hawthorn Certainly did all they could on Saturday against Collingwood to remove any doubts about their premiership credentials. Despite not having any of the best two or [...]
This week, the Herald Sun carried a back-page article (read here on Fox Sports) revealing a desire in some player circles, such as player agents and the Players’ Association, for the consideration of a soft salary cap. This would mirror the cap in the American National Basketball Association and help teams keep players, like Collingwood are [...]
- Footy in the Provinces – Canterbury, NZ December 9, 2013
- Footy in the Motherland – The West London Wildcats December 4, 2013
- Across the Tasman – Australian Football in New Zealand December 4, 2013
- Footballer’s Cathedral November 27, 2013
- Australian Football in Europe November 26, 2013
- Everybody needs good neighbors – Australian footy in Indonesia November 23, 2013
- Northern Exposure – Australian Football in Iceland November 20, 2013
- The AFL plans for equalisation November 18, 2013
- Footy reaches the Windy City – Australian Rules in Chicago November 16, 2013
- Australian footy deep in the heart of Texas November 14, 2013
- Catatonic Cat: O'Brien a square peg in footy's round hole http:...
- the_steadier: The house always wins. Might not be today.... mig...
- jenny61_99: Just a small thing - Adelaide actually beat the Bu...
- geekman: Hi guys, what happened to the pre/post game analys...
- Goodo73: So Melbourne played for draft picks... I have to s...
- Andrew Lewis: It does seem more like that with every day that pa...
- bomberman: I was listening to Mark Fine for 2 nights on SEN r...
- Adrian Appleyard: This 2011 survey for the Economist - https://www.e...
- AsItShouldBePlayed: D'oh! It just occurred to me that semi-finals an...
- AsItShouldBePlayed: I hope the AFLPA have the balls to stand up to thi...
- AFL House (44)
- Announcements (22)
- Cartoons (21)
- Club News (47)
- Dream Team (2)
- Fantasy Footy (2)
- Featured Posts (17)
- Features (15)
- Footy Betting (53)
- Footy Business (1)
- Friday Funny (4)
- Injuries (6)
- Interview (25)
- Ireland (4)
- Lists (20)
- Match Previews (236)
- Match Review Panel (10)
- Match Reviews (238)
- NAB Cup (1)
- National Draft (7)
- Off Topic (7)
- On the Grass (5)
- Opinion (133)
- Predictions (1)
- Press Releases (9)
- Season Review (8)
- Sports Medicine (9)
- Statistics (2)
- Supercoach (2)
- Team News (5)
- Team of the Week (4)
- Team Previews (22)
- Teams (36)
- Technology (3)
- Trade Period (1)
- VFL (11)